Recipe - Summer Ale, a variant

I love the summer ale base recipe: 4 pounds maris otter, 4 pounds pale 2 row, 1 pound crystal, 1/2 pound wheat, 1 pound cane sugar...and then experiment.

I always make it as an american style ale...american hops, SafAle S-05.

Between the cane sugar and the S-05, it's always crisp and dry.  A favorite at the lake.

Here's this variant:
5 gallons

Mash @ 154F overnight mash
  • 4.0 # pale 2 row
  • 4.0 # maris otter
  • 2.0 # 20L crystal
  • 1.0 # carapils
  • 0.5 # wheat 
Boil
  • 1 oz citra, first wort
  • 1 # cane sugar 60 minutes
  • 1 oz citra, 15 minutes
  • 2 T black pepper, 5 minutes

Cool and pitch 1 sachet hydrated SafAle S-05.

That easy.  First taste (during bottling) is great.

1 comment:

  1. I've had a few people ask me about the overnight mash thing. I'm sold on it for any beer that needs to get a lot of mileage out of it's malt. I don't know why it works, it just works.

    Maybe its the touch of sour you can get, maybe something else entirely...but try it.

    Keep good hygiene, mix it up, close it up, sparge and boil in the morning.

    Can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete